Minasan, Watashiwa Wawan Desu...

NurCell Movies

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

11 internet marketing skills you must always be learning


In spite of reading my blog, you want to go into internet marketing. Welcome to the asylum, my friend.


Time to start learning. This is a list necessary skills for an internet marketer. Warning: I do not necessarily know all these as well as I want to. I'm still learning:

Writing. I've beaten this one to death. If you can't write, don't even put the word 'marketer' in your title. DON'T. I hear you starting - "mar..." BZZZZT. Stop right there.Statistics. You don't need to be an expert statistician. But understanding a rolling average, statistical significance and confidence interval is required.SEO. Yep. Search engine optimization. This of course leads to a whole new list of stuff. That's for another blog post.PPC. Pay per click marketing. See SEO, above. Information Retrieval. I separate this from SEO and PPC because it's central to a lot of stuff you may end up doing to dig through/mine/organize data when you do everything from social media monitoring to reading your client's last 3 years of sales brochures.HTML and CSS. Please. For the love of all that's good in the universe. You can't help people market on the internet if you can't even fathom how it's all built.Design. You don't have to be a professional designer. At least I hope not - I can't design to save my life. But you should understand some basic principles: The Golden Ratio, typography, use of color, how to do a layout using a grid. Don't be a native, but at least speak the language.Social media. Shudder. It pains me to use this stupid phrase. Still, you need to understand how people connect online. It's a (sarcasm here) teeny little aspect of online marketing (end sarcasm). Twitter, Facebook, StumbleUpon, Reddit, and a bunch of others.Math. Quick: What's .1 X $10,000? If you answered $100, then I've interviewed you before. Fail.Business sense. I can't easily categorize this. But you need to understand what makes a business 'tick'. Little stuff, like earning more money than you spend, can really make a difference.Diplomacy. Yeaaahhhhhhhhh I'm still working on this one. Learn to advocate, strongly, for controversial points that you know for certain are critical to your client. Without alienating every single person in the room. 'Diplomacy' is the ability to tell people they're totally wrong, and make them smile at the same time.comments (10) | trackbacks (0) | permalink


View the original article here

No comments: